Gang
Starr
Hip
Hop at its finest and then some
This
article both pays homage to and honors one of the greatest hip hip groups in
music, Gang Starr. The group Gang Starr was started in 1985 by Keith Elam (aka
Guru) and DJ 1, 2 B-Down with various
producers working with them. Guru (which stands for Gifted Unlimited Rhymes
Universal) and the group relesed three 12” vinly records in the years of
1987-88. However, in 1989 the group would have an unfortunate split up leaving
Guru as the only remaining member of Gang Starr. Guru would soon have a little
change of luck as Christopher Martin (aka DJ Premier) sent him a beat tape and
Guru was diggin the beat. DJ Premier who is considered one of the most amazing
hip hop producers ever is known for his scratches and well orchestrated
samples. Guru and DJ Premier would soon revive the group Gang Starr and release
there first single “Words I manifest”. Gang Starr also released there debut
album “No More Mr. Nice Guy” which included many noteworthy tracks like
“Manifest”, “Positivity”, “Gotch U” and “Jazz Music”. Guru delivered incredible
lyricsm followed through by DJ Premiers excellent scratches and samples.
The second
studio album from Gang Starr “Step In the Arena” included many notewrthy tracks
including "Who's Gonna Take the Weight", “Just to Get a Rep” and
“Step in the Arena”. Following that was Gang Starr’s third studio album “Daily
Operation” which includes many great tracks like "2 Deep", "Take Two and Pass”, "Take
it Personal” and "Ex Girl to the Next Girl”. The fourth Studio album to
come out “Hard to Earn” included lyrically and sonically amazing tracks like "Mass
Appeal", "DWYCK" and
"Code of the Streets". To follow up all of those amazing
albums would come the fan favorite and fifth studio album “Moment of Truth”. Moment
of Truth by far is a masterpiece and includes a plethora of phenomenal tracks
including "You Know My Steez", and the self titled
track “Moment of Truth”. I remember bumping tunes like Work and Moment of Truth
and just vibing with them and relating with the tracks. The sixth and final
studio album “The Ownerz” included hit tracks like "Skills", "Rite
Where U Stand", "Nice Girl, Wrong Place" and "Same Team, No
Games".
DJ Premier
and Guru eventually went separate ways after the sixth studio album. Guru went
on to release many solo albums including the “Jazzmatazz” series. Guru would
also take up a bit of acting as he had many cameos in Movies as well as did
voice overs including some for the popular video game series “Grand Theft
Auto”. DJ Premier would go on to continue to produce beats for many artist
including Nas, Xzibit and Common etc. A
compilation album titled “Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr” included many of
the hits from the previous albums as well as three new tracks including the
self titled track "Full Clip", "Discipline" and "All 4
tha Ca$h". There were many other Gang Starr tracks appearing on soundtracks
including the track “Battle” which appeared on the soundtrack for the movie “8
mile”. Many fans wanted to see a Gang Starr reunion sadly this would never be
as we lost another hip hop legend. Keith “Guru” Elam died April 19, 2010 at the
age of 48 from cancer. This sent the
nation as well as the community of hip hop heads in a state of shock as we lost
another hip hop legend. Guru will always be remembered as one of the greatest
emcees to touch the game. DJ Premier produced a tribute mix in honor of Guru
and many people post videos of Gang Starr on there Facebook’s and Twitter’s in
honor of the late Guru and his music will always get rotation from the hip hop
community. Take a second to check out one of the greatest hip hop groups ever
if you haven’t yet and soak in the influence, the movement and the culture that
Gang Starr presented to the music world.
You must sit back, take time and respect what real hip hop
is. If you have never heard of Gangstarr take time out of your day and put on a
track you will see why a lot of artists and hip hop heads nationwide have shown
love. it’s not only because of their music it’s also because of their demeanor and passion to show relevance in
the streets and what it takes to get out , whether it be working at a factory
or being a basketball star be the best at what every you do,. Their message was
very clear they enjoyed making music and they got people to hear it. like I say if you don’t know who Gangstarr is and you’re a rapper you should just put the Mic
down lol because Without knowledge you have no power and without power you have
not accomplished anything. But on another Note another favorite song of
mine is called Work here is a verse check it out!
Here is the Link for the song Work
What kind of work do you do?
Uhh...
("Boy what is it you want to do when you grow up?)
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti dop that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine yeah surprisingly
I've been laying waiting for your next mistake
I put in work and watch my status escalate
Now I'ma start collecting props connection plots
networkin like a conference cause the nonsense is yet to stop
Jakes shake me down, haters wanna take me down
Break me down, CLAP all they heard was the sound
Yo I scoped it out, I took your weak dream and choked it out
Your bitch don't really got no ass, she just poked it out
on the deelow, I'm sayin, you versus me though?
We can do this shit right here, in front of your people
See time is money kid, and BS walks
And to me, it's funny kid when you meet heads talk
I see Feds stalk, they wanna dig up the dirt
Son is it me they hawk, cause I be puttin in work Son?
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine, yeah surprisingly
I've been laying, waiting for your next mistake
I put in work, and watch my status escalate
You cornballs get stonewalled, blackballed I own y'all
The veteran, runnin my plan I'm the better man
Crazy raw, doin my job like the mob
Blazin y'all, and disappear in in the fog
or a mist, and chicks can't resist what I kick
They be beggin for attention or some more of the dillznick
Word up baby, someone may have to get hurt up baby
Shit is mad shady, but I got to get the gravy
Platinum respect like the force of a tech
keep you hittin the deck, feelin heat in your chest
Bangin your thoughts with the hot onslaught
A kid got shot on the spot for goin where he should not
Viciously, I make history, instantly
Those other lame ass loser ass niggaz, they can't fuck with me
I'm doin my thing now, to lamp later on
Paid in the shade, with some fly gators on
But now I'm grimy as they get, mud on my pants and shirt
I bet you niggaz out here know, I be puttin in work
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine, yeah surprisingly
I've been laying, waiting for your next mistake
I put in work, and watch my status escalate
Uhh...
("Boy what is it you want to do when you grow up?)
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti dop that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine yeah surprisingly
I've been laying waiting for your next mistake
I put in work and watch my status escalate
Now I'ma start collecting props connection plots
networkin like a conference cause the nonsense is yet to stop
Jakes shake me down, haters wanna take me down
Break me down, CLAP all they heard was the sound
Yo I scoped it out, I took your weak dream and choked it out
Your bitch don't really got no ass, she just poked it out
on the deelow, I'm sayin, you versus me though?
We can do this shit right here, in front of your people
See time is money kid, and BS walks
And to me, it's funny kid when you meet heads talk
I see Feds stalk, they wanna dig up the dirt
Son is it me they hawk, cause I be puttin in work Son?
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine, yeah surprisingly
I've been laying, waiting for your next mistake
I put in work, and watch my status escalate
You cornballs get stonewalled, blackballed I own y'all
The veteran, runnin my plan I'm the better man
Crazy raw, doin my job like the mob
Blazin y'all, and disappear in in the fog
or a mist, and chicks can't resist what I kick
They be beggin for attention or some more of the dillznick
Word up baby, someone may have to get hurt up baby
Shit is mad shady, but I got to get the gravy
Platinum respect like the force of a tech
keep you hittin the deck, feelin heat in your chest
Bangin your thoughts with the hot onslaught
A kid got shot on the spot for goin where he should not
Viciously, I make history, instantly
Those other lame ass loser ass niggaz, they can't fuck with me
I'm doin my thing now, to lamp later on
Paid in the shade, with some fly gators on
But now I'm grimy as they get, mud on my pants and shirt
I bet you niggaz out here know, I be puttin in work
Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see
Victory is mine, yeah surprisingly
I've been laying, waiting for your next mistake
I put in work, and watch my status escalate
Hip hop is a movement Not a Trend !
A Good interview check it out
A Good interview check it out

nice piece fam. representing!! big up
ReplyDelete